|What an Ombudsperson Does|
- Listens to your concerns and provides an opportunity to discuss concerns openly.
- Assists you in exploring options.
- Facilitates communication among persons in conflict.
- Mediates disputes, and works to resolve conflicts as early as possible and at the least adversarial level.
- Provides information on campus resources and faculty policies.
- Refers you to the appropriate office, if not Ombuds/Dispute Resolution Services.
|What an Ombudsperson Does Not Do|
- The ombudsperson does not take sides or advocate for any individual.
- The ombudsperson does not handle legal issues or formal grievances.
- The ombudsperson does not provide legal advice.
- The ombudsperson does not accept legal notice for UNM, should you wish to go “on record” about an issue or put the university on notice.
- The ombudsperson does not address disputes between faculty and persons/organizations not affiliated with UNM.